The Consulate General of Algeria in New York is pleased to announce that a ceremony will be held at its headquarters in celebration of “Yennayer 2973”. This year’s event is meant to be convivial and memorable, putting the spotlight on our Amazigh historical, cultural and culinary heritage.
For this, members of our esteemed community are cordially invited to join us and to take part in the planned activities which include:
- Culinary activity: People interested are invited to bring traditional food and/or sweets which relate to their region in Algeria and to the Yennayer celebration.
- Exhibition: People interested are invited to bring in any traditional clothing, jewelry, artisanal handcrafts, portraits, musical instrument and potteries which relate to a particular region in Algeria and to the Yennayer celebration. Your items will be displayed and returned at the end of the event.
- Treize/ Nayer/Djraz: An elderly woman and a young child are invited to participate in this activity where the “Treize”, which is a mix of sweets, chocolate, and nuts, will be gently thrown on a young child.
- Henna ceremony: Elderly women are invited to participate in this activity where henne will be applied to children and any other candidates.
- M’zab Alawn ألاون بوقالات and or poems People interested are invited to recite M’zab Alawn or poems of their choice which relate to a particular region in Algeria and to the Yennayer celebration.
If you are interested in participating in one of the activities mentioned above, please fill out your “Activity Registration form” and email it to . Once your registration is approved, a confirmation email will be sent to you.
If you plan only on attending our event please (Not registering for any activity): Click on RSVP EVENT
When : Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 5pm
Where : Consulate General of Algeria, 15 East 47 Street New York, NY 10017
Dress code: Traditional or formal attire requested.
- by phone (212) 308 -2505