Termination of residency


If you are planning to leave the USA for good, then you may wish to apply for a certificate of change of residency (Certificat de Changement de Residence) or abridged CCR. The CCR has been established in order to enable Algerian expatriates planning to return home for good, to take back their personal belongings, including a new car, without paying custom duties and other taxes.

General Conditions

  • Applicant must be registered at the consulate,
  • Applicant must provide documents which show three (3) years of legal and uninterrupted residence in the USA, such as Employment Verification Letter, Bank Statement…,
  • Applicant have never benefited of CCR,
  • The CCR is granted once only to the Head of the family (spouse and minor children are not entitled.)
  • It is valid for six (6) months from the date of issue and cannot be extended without the approval of Algerian Customs (Direction Generale des Douanes),
  • If you are sending a vehicle, it must be new and brought to Algeria within 30 days
  • Declared items on the inventory list should under no circumstances be amended.The addition of other items may result in the cancellation of the CCR by Algerian Customs,
  • In accordance with the Algerian customs rules, the presence of the holder of CCR is required when completing customs formalities in Algeria Power of attorney is no more accepted.

Vehicle Specification :

  • The vehicle must be new and brought to Algeria within 30 days  Of the date of the registration of the vehicleThe vehicle must be cleared within one year of the date of manufacture. If for example, your vehicle is manufactured on June 1st, 2017, you have to ship your car and UNDERTAKE CUSTOMS CLEARANCE IN ALGERIA BEFORE May 31st, 2018. Vehicles cannot be cleared  AFTER ONE YEAR OF THE DATE OF MANUFACTURE.
  • A new vehicle (voiture touristique) and whose engine size must not exceed 1800 cm3 (for Petrol model) or 2000 cm3 (for Diesel model).
  • Or a new Light Commercial Vehicle (véhicule utilitaire neuf) whose total weight (Poids total en charge) must not exceed 5.950 Kgs.
  • Or a two wheel vehicle subject to registration (Motor Bike).

Personal belongings :

Personal belongings include the whole family personal effects (clothing, books, toys, electronic devices, tools…), furniture (bedrooms, mattresses, sofa beds, kitchen appliances, entertainment devices …).
Recreational and fishing boats, pleasure crafts, zodiac boats are not allowed under CCR.

Total value of the CCR :

The total amount of the value of the personal belongings, including a new car, allowed on the occasion of a transfer of residency (CCR) has been increased by the Finance Law for 2020 (read Article 112 of the law Nº 19-14 dated December, 11th, 2019 published in the Official Gazette Nº 81 dated December,  30th, 2019). Hence, the total value must not exceed the following amounts:
  •  Four million Algerian dinars (4.000.000 DA) for students and trainers
  • Five million Algerian dinars (5.000.000 DA ) for other citizens

CCR Consular fees :

  • A fixed fee in the amount de 50 USD for the CCR document.
  • There is a variable additional fee calculated on the basis of the total value of the personal belongings,furniture and vehicule
  • The issuance of the CCR leads systematically to the cancellation (Radiation) of the applicant’s consular registration. To seek re-registration, applicant must provide wait six (06) months and must provide a first registration file.

Required Documents

To request a CCR, you need to provide the following documents:
  • Written request adressed to Consul General,
  • CCR (Download) Application form,
  • Inventory (Download) of personal belongings,
  • Original of the Consular Card (+ 2 copies),
  • Copy of the first page of the Algerian passport,
  • Copy of a legal and valid US residency,
  • Vehicle registration documents, issued on the name of the applicant + 2 copies,
  • Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin + 02 copies,
  • Original invoice for the car + 2 copies,
  • Proof of activity such as an Employment Verification letter or Enrollment Verification Letter for students or trainees.
  • Fees
[slideshow_deploy id=’148′]