1. General Conditions Applicable to All Candidates
General Conditions applicable to all candidates for membership through election in the People’s National Assembly are covered in Article 92 of the Organic Law on the Electoral System, which provides that any candidate to membership in the People’s National Assembly must:
- Meet the requirements listed in Article 3 of the Organic Law on the electoral System and be registered in the electoral district in which s/he is running;
- Be at least twenty-five (25) years of age on Election Day;
- Be a Citizen of Algeria;
- Have performed, or been released of obligations of, draft military service;
- Not having been convicted and sentenced to incarceration for any offense or crime and be non-rehabilitated, except for involuntary offences.
2. Required Documentation for Application
Pursuant to the provisions set forth in the Organic Law on the Electoral System, each candidate (full and alternate) carried on an electoral list must submit an application for candidacy including the following supporting documents:
2.1. For National Level Electoral Districts
- Statement of performance or waiver of obligation of draft military service;
- Algerian Citizenship Certificate;
- Extract No. 3 of the judicial record;
- One (1) ID picture;
- Extract of Birth Certificate for candidates born overseas and not listed in the National Automated Civil Status Register;
- Copy of the minutes reported by the chairman of the electoral district commission, whenever a slate of candidates is affected by registration of individual voter signatures;
- Copy of the program to be developed by the candidate during the electoral campaign, in the case of no-party candidates;
- Statement of sponsorship for candidates running as affiliated to one or several political parties
2.2. For Overseas Electoral Districts
Slate of candidates presented at diplomatic and consular representations requires that candidates (full and alternate) provide the following additional documents:
- Copy of Algerian passport or National Identification Card;
- Extract of the judicial record issued by the competent authorities of the country of residence;
- Copy of the candidate’s Consular Registration Card;
- Copy of the candidate’s Voter Card or statement of registration on the Electoral List.
The diplomatic and consular representations will request on behalf of each candidate an extract of their judicial record from the competent national authorities.
Party candidates must submit either a statement of sponsorship of their candidacy issued by the leadership of the political party or parties they are affiliated with or a statement from the leadership of the political party or parties authorizing the candidate to represent them locally.
No-party candidates must submit evidence of at least two hundred (200) signatures provided by registered voters residing in their electoral district in support of their candidacy.
For further information, please contact us