The procedure of the biometric passport started since January 2013.The Biometric passport is valid for 10 years for adults, and 5 years for minors. A passport is henceforth an individual document. Minor children can thus no longer be mentioned on their parents’ passports, and must have their own individual passport. Applications for biometric passports are submitted at the Consulate General of Algeria in New York (for those living within the 44 States). They are, however, issued in Algeria. This means the procedure entails a weeks’s delay between the submission of the request and obtaining the passport. Each citizen applying for a biometric passport must fulfill the following conditions :
- Applying for a passport for the first time at the consulate is subject to prior consular registration;
- Be in possession of the special extract of his/her birth certificate 12S;
- Biometric passport form to be filled out correctly by each applicant.
- Original 12S Birth Certificate (Copies, even certified are not valid).
- Copy of a 12S Birth Certificate.
- A copy of a consular registration card (Renewal of expired card can be submitted simultaneously).
- (a copy of consular registration card of one of the parent if the applicant is less than 19 years old).
- A copy of a proof of US residency (Green Card, valid student Visa, US passport).
- A proof of employment or school verification letter for students.
- Two (02) biometric identity photos in compliance with ICAO standards.
- Seventy-Five USD ($75) Money Order Only (no Cash, checks or Credit cards). In case of loss, stole or damage of passport an additional tax of 125 USD is required (125+75 =200 USD)
Applicants must check the status of their application a week after completing the fingerprint and the picture at http://passeport.interieur.gov.dz/fr/Suivi_Fr/Suivi_Demande using the tracking number on the receipt.
- If the mention “Le passeport est expedié” appears, the applicant must follow up the tracking at Track your passport until the mention ‘your passport is ready for pick up’ appears.
- If the mention “photo non conforme “ appears, then you must download a new picture in compliance with ICAO at http://passeport.interieur.gov.dz
- Otherwise, contact us
Pick up and Delivery
When your biometric passport is ready for pickup you can either take it from the Consulate Location or request its mailing. Please note that the mailing of biometric passport came as part of the Consulate’s ongoing efforts aimed at providing quality services and considering the specificity of our consular post (Distance and traveling difficulties for our citizens). When walk-in bring:
- Your Receipt,
- Your Old Algerian Passport,
- Your Birth certificate 12s ( It will be returned to you after printing the NIN).
- A notarized sworn statement ,
- Old passport,
- A prepaid Certified, Priority or Overnight mail return envelope bearing applicant’s address.
- Presence of children aged less than 12 years old is not necessary.
- A paternal authorization when the mother is picking the kids passports.
- In case of divorce, a Court Order with full custody and guardianship delivered by the Algerian competent authority when the children passports is picked up by the mother.
- When the father is not Algerian the mother is the one to pick up the passport.